Tuesday 10 June 2014

Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year

I haven't included rereads here, which I've been doing A LOT of, so unfortunately that didn't leave me with a lot to choose from. I feel I have read more bad books than good books this year, sadly. But here are some I really liked:




1. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sarra Manning, audiobook narrated by Julie Maisey. This was definitely my fave read of the year so far, I think. It was fun and touching and I just adored it. The audio version was really great.

2. False Colours by Georgette Heyer, audiobook narrated by Phyllida Nash. I loved, loved, loved this book. So much fun! I've been meaning to read more Heyer since I finished it so perhaps the second half of the year will see me do that.

3. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling. This was a hilarious memoir by my best friend Mindy.

4. The Accident by Kate Hendrick. An emotional and raw contemporary YA novel from the country that does them best (IMO) - Australia, natch.

5. Such Sweet Sorrow by Jenny Trout. I really liked this new take on Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet. It was a page-turner and I hope there's a sequel.

6. Playing by the Rules by Imelda Evans. This was a really enjoyable and cute rom com-style read. The companion book, Rules Are For Breaking (which actually came out first but I read second) is also a lot of fun.

7. Zombies Vs. Unicorns, Edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier. A short story battle in which Team Zombie and Team Unicorn fight it out to see which is the ultimate mythical creature. As awesome as it sounds.

8. Indecent Desires by Jane O'Reilly. I've been reading a fair bit of romance/erotica this year and most of it has been pretty terrible. This is probably the best one I've read - I actually liked it.

9. About a Boy by Nick Hornby, audiobook narrated by Julian Rhind-Tutt. I haven't reviewed this one yet but I listened to it recently and thought it was great.

10. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I think I'm one of the few people in the world who didn't love this book. I've included it here because I can see objectively it is good, and also pretty much all the other books I've read have been mediocre to awful, but still - TFIOS made me mad.

14 comments:

  1. Great list! I included rereads in mine though, I wanted to give them another shout-out in case I hadn't already :)

    My TTT: http://confessionsofabookgeek.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/top-ten-tuesday-best-books-in-2014/

    R x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. If I had included rereads the list would have been better haha.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. Why did TFIOS make you mad? Zombies vs Unicorns looks so funny!

    Here's my TTT:
    http://wendimlee.blogspot.com/2014/06/top-ten-ya-books-i-read-this-year.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt emotionally manipulative to me.

      Delete
  3. I want to read Mindy Kaling's book so bad!! Great list.
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Such Sweet Sorrow (and its also signed smh) and I have yet to read it! Glad to know it's good for whenever I get to it!

    Here's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it! It's not for everyone but I thought it was good.

      Delete
  5. My sister is really pushing for me to read it. I might have to feature it one week on FF. Thank you for reminding me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree - I had a whole boatload of issues with TFiOS. I couldn't even objectively see that it's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO glad it wasn't just me. I get why people love it but not to the degree they obsess over it.

      Delete
  7. Zombies vs Unicorns?! Okay I like books about both but together....IDK about that... :)
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun! They're short stories so it works well :)

      Delete
  8. I have heard a lot about Sara Manning, her books sound so fun! I read a short story of hers once and enjoyed it - so I really should get around to reading some of her other novels! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really liked the two I've read so far!

      Delete