Tuesday 22 October 2013

Review: Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood



This book is adorable. It’s the coming-of-age story of Dan Cereill, who is feeling a bit overwhelmed due to the fact that his family not only has no money, they are also no longer a family – his dad has come out as gay and left Dan and his mum to flounder with a failing cake business in the drafty house they were lucky enough to inherit from a great aunt. Throw in the fact he has to change schools and has developed an instant crush for his next door neighbour, Estelle, and it’s not hard to see why Dan is a bit of a mess.

Poor Dan. I really felt for the guy. His life has done a 180 and the way he tries to deal with everything is by turns heartbreaking and heartwarming. He does some really awful things sometimes, and you can’t help but cringe from the sidelines, but he’s a young, silly boy who is just trying to make sense of the world. And, not gonna lie, I’d probably be tempted to do the things he does if I had the opportunity, too. I’m nosy like that.

While I had sympathy for Dan, I really adored the secondary characters, from the boarder out the back to Dan’s best mate Fred to his new friend Lou and especially to Howard the dog. They are all realistic and complex and completely likable. You’ll want to pay attention to these characters. They enhance the story so much and are an important part of it.

Wood deals with even the trickiest subject matter with heart and compassion and a good dose of humour. Six Impossible Things is funny, witty, lighthearted and just a lot of fun.

Rating: 4/5

Related
Here is a playlist of all the music mentioned in the book. 

Fine Print
Published: 2010, Pan Macmillan
Get It: Book Depository

6 comments:

  1. What a cute looking cover! I love books with male teen m/c's and this sounds super unique! Cool review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am just peeking at your rating because I just got the book and should be reading/reviewing soon. I loved WILDLIFE though, and I'm looking forward to reading Dan's story. Will check out your review on GR once I've done my due diligence. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it! The tone is quite different to Wildlife but it's a very fun read.

      Delete
  3. Yay! I'm so, so glad you loved this! It's such a gorgeous, heartwarming (but sometimes cringe-inducing) story. I loved Dan, but all the characters were adorable. Love you review Belle! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! It was cringey in a good, funny way. Very authentic teen experience.

      Delete