Tuesday 19 June 2012

Top Ten Books On My Winter TBR List


Photo by Michelle Tribe

Since it's not exactly summer in the Southern Hemisphere, I had to amend this week's Top Ten Tuesday topic, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. But it's a timely topic anyway, as I just signed up for the Quarterly Reading Challenge with the YA Book Club on Goodreads (coz, y'know, I'm not doing enough challenges), which has put a few specific books at the top of my TBR pile. Before the end of August, I hope to read...

1. Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys. I've been wanting to read this for awhile, and as it satisfies the Cybil Awards and "war zone" criteria for the Quarterly Challenge, I figure now's a good time to finally get around to it!

2. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. This has rave reviews on Goodreads and I'm intrigued by the plot. I don't think I've ever read a dragon book before! Plus it comes out in July, so it meets the "new release" criteria for the Quarterly Challenge as well as helping me tick off a book for the YA Contemporary Challenge.

3. The Jellybean Crisis by Jolene Stockman. The title and cover are totally adorable and the plot sounds interesting. Plus Jolene herself is super lovely. It comes out at the beginning of August, so like Seraphina it fits in with the two challenges mentioned.

4. Touch by Jus Accardo. This one has been on my wishlist for awhile but I finally ordered it last week. Handily, it has a boy on the cover (unusual for YA), meeting another requirement for the Quarterly Challenge.

5. Saving June by Hannah Harrington. I haven't come across one single blogger who doesn't like this book. It's been in my TBR pile for aaaages so I want to get to it soon.

6. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Another one everyone LOVES - I actually pre-orderd TFIOS, but have been too scared of the sad to read it yet. I think I just need to suck it up and dive in.

7. Flawless by Sara Shepard. Even though I hated Pretty Little Liars, I've been told the series gets better, so I want to give the sequel a go - and actually make progress in my own challenge.

8. Preloved by Shirley Marr. The cover is gorgeous, the concept is brilliant, and Shirley herself is awesomesauce. Plus, I have a cameo appearance! Can't wait to get stuck in to this one.

9. Cinnamon Rain by Emma Cameron. Ever since reading The Weight of Water, I've been meaning to get my hands on some more verse novels. This Aussie release seems like the perfect choice for my second foray into the genre. It also fits in with the Aussie Women Writers and Aussie Author Challenges.

10. Drink Slay Love by Sarah Beth Durst. Although I have major vampire fatigue, this one sounds like a unique take on the genre, and it's gotten great reviews from bloggers I trust. I've had it in my TBR pile for awhile so I want to knock it off.

What's at the top of your TBR list?

32 comments:

  1. The only one I have read is The Fault in Our Stars which I did like a lot!

    I really need to read Between Shades of Grey. Have had it on my list for ages but haven't managed to read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! So many books, so little time...

      Delete
  2. Coming from someone who JUST finished reading The Fault in Our Stars, you will definitely experience some sad, but it will be the most wonderful kind of sad you can come across. Go ahead and dive into it. I'm certain you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh thanks for the tip. It does sound good :)

      Delete
  3. personally I enjoyed the Pretty Little Liars Series.. although I stopped at the first 4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. I keep hoping Drink Slay Love gets released on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between Shades of Grey is AWESOME. Loved it. The Fault In Our Stars is good too. I enjoyed that one, it was my first John Green.

    I have Preloved here, but I haven't read it yet. And I'd like to read Saving June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay, glad to hear it. I haven't read any John Green yet so it'll be my first too.

      Delete
  6. What a great list! TFIOS, The Jelly Bean Crisis and Drink Slay Love are in my TBR list too. I also participated in Top Ten Tuesdays but I stuck with the title even though it's not summer here too. Though we don't have winter so I can't make it a winter list too. Haha! Share with us what you think of these books once you've read them. Well, I'm sure you will so I'll be anticipating them! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will! Would love to know what you think of those ones too.

      Delete
  7. Oh I REALLY need to read The Fault in Our Stars. It's the ONE book I didn't buy when I had a book-buying splurge last month and now I really regret it.

    I've heard such wonderful things about it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read any other John Green? Everyone seems to love him.

      Delete
  8. I don't want to think about my TBR, it's depressing but TFioS is awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the tip of the iceberg. Literally.

      Delete
  9. The Fault In Our Stars and Touch are both amazing! I need to check out Seraphina and Preloved now. Great answers!

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/06/top-ten-tuesday-27-summer-tbr-list.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Fault in Our Stars is one that I've taken notice of (I don't usually read YA, but I have seen great reviews of that *everywhere*). I love the Drink, Slay, Love title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes John Green is a bit of a hero for many people.

      Delete
  11. TFIOS is on my list, but I too, have to get myself ready for the sadness. I trust John Green, so I am going to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of his books but I keep meaning to.

      Delete
  12. TFIOS is a wonderful book! I wish I had cold temperature right now, I could really use it in this heat. :P
    My top Ten Tuesday; http://booknookgirl.blogspot.com/2012/06/top-ten-tuesday-summer-to-be-read.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh! I'd prefer warm weather -switch? :)

      Delete
  13. Saving June is a great book, I hope you get to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Everyone seems to love it.

      Delete
  14. Saving June is amazing, so I'm sure you'll like it. And I actually just got TFIOS today, but I'm going to wait to read it until I'm in a sad book mood.

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have to be in a very specific mood, don't you?

      Delete
  15. Thanks for stopping by! As for TMI, I say skip it if you didn't love it. At the beginning of this year I vowed to only read books that I enjoyed. It's been working out very well. I am loving the freedom of putting down a book that is only so-so. TFIOS was really difficult. I almost stopped. Enjoy your reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great vow - I'm trying to get better at that!

      Delete
  16. I completely forgot about The Fault in Our Stars, but I hope to read that one soon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the last one who hadn't read it!

      Delete