Friday 9 September 2011

Top 5: Books I Want To See On The Big Screen (TGIF!)


This is my first time participating in TGIF, a recap/networking meme hosted by Ginger at GReads. I've seen it bouncing around the blogosphere and thought I'd finally join in this week - especially coz it's such a fun question. Ginger asks: Which books would you love to see made into a TV series or movie? As regular readers of my blog would know, I love me an adaptation, so I couldn't not participate with this question. Here is my top five books, in no particular order, that I want to see adapted for the big (or small) screen (because I love me a list, too):

1. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I'd love to see this as either a movie or a TV show. The sexual tension between Anna and St. Clair and the development of their relationship would make for a steamy and super-cute teen flick, but there's also some awesome secondary characters that could be fleshed out for an ensemble TV show. The location enough would be enough to make me swoon (though St. Clair ain't bad either).

2. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. OK, so the vampire thing has kinda been sucked dry and I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting a bit over the trend myself. But that being said, the Vampire Academy series is a truly great set of teen books, with some awesome characters and plenty of action (of the violent and, er, less violent kind). There's a lot going on which I think would make it perfect for a TV drama series.

3. A Modern Comedy by John Galsworthy. This is the sequel to The Forsyte Saga, which has already been turned into an awesome mini-series in the not-too-distant past. I was so disappointed when they didn't continue the story - I'm still hoping they will one day!

4. Evelina by Frances Burney. This is another classic that I would love to see turned into a mini-series. Evelina's somewhat awkward entrance into society and her relationships with the rakish Sir Clement and the dashing Lord Orville, not to mention her crazy relatives, would make for fun viewing. Plus, it hasn't been done to death like, well, anything by Jane Austen (not that I'm complaining).

5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. This is one of those books that I'd be really, really excited and at the same time really, really terrified if they decided to make a movie based on it. It's such a wonderful book and I think it could make an amazing film - but only if it's done right. There's a lot of potential to screw it up and I love it so much that I couldn't bear to see it hurt by Hollywood. So, to sum up, I'd like to see this as a movie - but I also really don't want to.

This week on Belle's Bookshelf...
Mag Monday - Lily, Ita and Donald
Pash, Pick or Pass - The Mortal Instruments Edition
My Book Boyfriend - Lord Orville
Young Adult, The Movie
City of Glass by Cassandra Clare Book Review
Bookish Buys - Cute Bookends
Book/Movie Comparison - The Last Unicorn

14 comments:

  1. Anna and the French Kiss would be so cute on screen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to see Anna & the French Kiss as a movie. I think it would be really cute :-) Thanks for joining TGIF this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to TGIF! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Evelina as a series or movie! As well as Anna. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Book Thief is an interesting choice, I like it! It would be a very serious movie but really has the possibility to be great! You are right though, they could really mess it up! I still have not read Anna, but I plan too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting over the vampire trend??? GAH! Noooooo!

    I thinks all of these sound great for film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna and the French Kiss would make an EXCELLENT movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good list..another book that I would love to see on screen is Iron King by Julie Kagawa. Hope they make it a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to read Anna and the French Kiss! I still haven't! I'd love to see Vampire Academy though! Even if you're right about vampires being a little overdone, especially at the moment. :)

    My TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow, Evelina! Yeah, I can see that. It would be nice if Masterpiece Theatre (et al) would dig a little further than Jane Austen. Don't get me wrong--I'm a total Austenophile, but there are other authors from England.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I think I need to see more movies. I'm really in the mood for a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to read #1! I'm sure I'd want it to be made into a movie, too. . HAPPY FRIDAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really want Anna and the french kiss made into a movie!
    plus Evelina would be great, you can never have too many bbc period dramas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would kill to see VA on the big screen, and Anna is also a good choice. I haven't read any of the others though and should probably check those out.

    ReplyDelete