Friday 22 April 2011

The Movie Was AMAZEBALLS: Never Let Me Go


It's rare that a movie is better than the book it's based on - especially an amazing book like Never Let Me Go - but I think this one might just have done it. Well, it was at least as good as the book... beautifully shot, brilliantly acted and wonderfully told. It hit all the right marks, and was just as heart-wrenching, gut-wrenching and just generally wrenching as the novel. I'd normally do a detailed comparison of the changes from book to movie, but I don't think I can do it this time. It would be a shame to pick it a part, as it's such an emotional experience. Plus, it's incredibly faithful to the book - there were a few changes, but they were mostly pretty minor and worked well in the film. I seriously can't fault it.

Did I mention how brilliant the acting was? Andrew Garfield, holy moly. I loved him before, but wow. He perfectly captured Tommy's vulnerability, sensitivity, hope and heartbreak. Man, the heartbreak...And Carey Mulligan! She did such a wonderful job of bringing Kathy to life, conveying so much emotion in just one look that I felt for her even more than I had in the book. Keira was also great as the nasty Ruth, who I actually managed to feel sympathy for at one point. The child actors were also amazing - not only did they look a helluva lot like their adult counterparts (young Kathy especially looked freakishly like Carey), but they could also actually act. This was so important, as their story does take up a large part of the movie, and without this strong foundation it wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful later on. As it stands, it's probably the most powerful film I've seen in a long time.

Rating: 5/5

4 comments:

  1. I've been dying to read the book and watch the movie. Now I know I have to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember to take lots of tissues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the book of this which I need to read but I desperately want to see this movie after all the praise I've heard about it!
    And Andrew Garfield, Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan? AHH. I WANT TO SEE THIS MOVIE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic review, I am so glad you loved this one. Oh my gosh, I am SO with you on the acting, just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete